Thursday, October 28, 2010

Thatcher Magazine - October 2010

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!
On Halloween night
Amid costumed gouls and witches,
Toothless pumpkins grin
Haiku by Nancy Thatcher Cerny

FAMILY NEWSLETTER - Nancy's Journal
My favorite season is here again. I love the colors of autumn, pumpkin pies and candy corn. I can even dress in my black witch's costume and pointed hat - without being too obvious.

October has been a month of ups and downs.
-On the up side, I did win one writing contest - the essay entitled O! SAY CAN YOU SEE. (It is published in the 2010 Family History news.)
-On the down side, the Cerny family lost Clarence's brother Ed in June and Diane Cerny this October. Carol and I were able to attend Diane's memorial service - and meet with relatives, friends and neighbors I hadn't seen in many years. I am the only Cerny of that sibling-and-spouse group still living.
-Another up side was when Christy brought the children to Nancy's house on Saturday afternoon. I had time to become reacquainted with great-grand children Zach, Nate and Zoyie (after five years!) We hugged and chatted and played Bingo together. Nice!
-Just to keep from losing some old skills, I joined the Toastmasters Intl. Probably a good thing I did because one week after I attended my first meeting, I was asked to speak in November "On Writing" at the Friends of the Library meeting in the beautiful new library. I'm looking forward to that. (I was afraid I'd have nothing to do and noody to do it with when I gave up being president of TLW -- I was wrong!)
-As you can see, I've been enjoying writing some Haiku and winning an essay contest (I'm hoping to hear I won one in November as well). I'm trying to find art classes to attend so I'll not only be putting words on paper but pictures as well. (Whether words or designs, I'll just call it Scribble and more scribble.)

FAMILY HISTORY - Ira Carpenter saga continues
Bruce and Shirley took a trip to Hillsdale, Michigan. They were on a treasure hunt to dig up the bones of Ira Carpenter (one of great-grandma Lydia Thatcher's brothers). They visited the library, talked with people who knew the area and the genealogy records - and the well-kept cemetery with their headstones. If we can come up with more stories about that part of our family, I'll have to rewrite my blacksmith biography one more time before it is republished. Since Bruce and Shirley are Michiganers, they have the pass-key to access data - and hopefully newspaper archives as well... It's like a treasure hunt all over again...

THE SISTERS
Marjorie and I enjoyed our bus tour to Washington DC for the Cherry Blossom Festival so much we are talking about taking another tour to San Antonio, Texas - the Alamo and the River Walk. We are both ready to enjoy stepping back in history -- Texas style....

EDITOR'S NOTE, AND ABOUT THIS BLOG...
This BLOG is intended as a magazine with monthly editions including Family History, Family Newsletter, The Sisters (Marj and me), Stories to Share and Other Interesting Stuff.

Family members are welcome to contribute to this blog by contacting the me at nktcerny@suddenlink.net or (870) 425-8264 or snail mail. I know only how to manage print information at this time (no photos, cut/paste or sophisticated presentations).
OK. I'M JUST SITTING HERE WAITING TO HEAR FROM YOU.... Nancy y Te.

No comments:

Post a Comment