Thursday, December 9, 2010

Thatcher Magazine - December 2010

FAMILY HISTORY
My Christmas 1966 by Bruce Thatcher

I was raised in what was the small town of Lombard, Illinois. My parents and I regularly went to the church at the First Congregational Church in town. Seven years after graduating from high school I was in Vietnam.
I was an artillery forward observer attached to the rifle company in the 1st Air Cavalry Division. We were operating in an area called the Centeral Highlands. We were helicoptered to a stone quarry where the engineers made their gravel to be used for roads and runways. What we liked was the engineers had cooks and hot food. Hot food was a rarity for us. The following happened on Christmas 1966:
On Christmas Eve all was quiet until about 10:00 PM when all kinds of gunfire came from a pacified village. We went up to the village only to find the newly elected mayor and a female school teacher killed and beheaded by the NVA.
Christmas morning we went to the Martha Ray Bowl, a small landing zone near Pleiku. The stage was made out of used 105 mm shell boxes. On the stage were two ministers, Bishop Sheen, and Rev. Billy Graham. They presided over the best nondenominational Christmas services that I have ever seen. They did this while being protected by only two platoons. I sent a picture of the two of them to the Billy Graham library at Wheaton College. Their records said that he was at An Khe, the base camp for the 1st Air Cavalry Division and didn't realize that they took a trip out to the bush.
The Army gave us the first hot meal in over two weeks. It was great. The enlisted men ate first, then the noncommissioned officers, and finally, if anything was left, the officers ate. There was plenty of hot food that day and even some extra hotdogs. There is something in our gene pool that makes us fishermen. I brought a very small survival kit from home which was always with me. It included, among other things, 6 lb. monofilament line, size 8 hooks and some split shot. With hot dogs as bait and a 10 foot piece of green bamboo for a pole, I went fishing in the creek. Heck, even caught some white catfish.
I had a wonderful christmas. I was not on patrol. I saw Billy Graham. I ate a great hot meal. I went fishing. Most importantly, I thanked God that I was alive.
I got a letter about two weeks later from my Dad. In the letter he informed me that the youth minister in his Christmas sermon named me and four other church members who were in Vietnam as baby killing, women raping, drug addicts. My Dad and several of the other members of the congregation then started a new Congregational Church in Glen Ellyn.
Last year was my 50th high school reunion. I turned the corner onto Main Street of the huge town of Lombard and everything had changed except that beautiful church steeple on the Congregational Church. We got a guided tour of the old church. The doors are always locked and you need a password to get in now. There is new carpet on the floor but the floor boards still squeak in the same places. What was said here on Christmas Eve, 1966, no longer has any beaing on me.

FAMILY NEWSLETTER - by Nancy
I collected three more writing awards. The first was from The Springfield
Writers' Guild, on October 23, 2010, for the Essay/Opinion Piece entitled "O! Say Can You See" (which appeared in the 2010 Family History News). On November 19, 2010, I received two awards from the five I submitted to the Ozark Writers League Competition. One was fiction: the Gene Andereck Award for "The Red Box" (the original version in FHN several years ago), and one for Dan Saults Essay Award entitled "Just Add Water" about our need for greater awareness of the diminishing supply of potable water on planet Earth.
Also, my creative non-fiction story entitled, "Laurel & Hardy" was published in the 2010 Ozark Writers League anthology, Echoes of the Ozarks, vol. VI. I'm proud to say this is the third year in a row OWL has published one of my stories.

THE SISTERS
Marjorie and I had such a nice time touring Washington DC during the Cherry Blossom Festival this past spring that we decided to take another tour - this time to San Antonio, Texas. We were there for the first Christmas lights - the first weekend of December - which included candle luminaries lining the entire River Walk as well as long strings of lights dangling from trees overhanging the river, the walk, bridge overpasses, restaurants, and streets jammed with people ready to begin this holiday season. Marjorie took notes and will give you 'the scoop' in her own words.

INSPIRATION
For this holiday season, I cannot think of anything more inspirational than Bruce's Christmas 1966!
I do hope we each remember to be grateful this holiday season and every day for simple things that make our lives valuable: for family, friends and neighybors of good will; for food, freedom and a fishing pole. May we remember our military who ensure our peace.
I wish you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

the BLOG
Family members are welcome to contribute to this BLOG by accessing the editor through either 'comment' space on this blogsite or by emailing nktcerny@suddenlink.net or phoning (870) 425-8264. You can use snail mail if you prefer. to day, I know only how to manage tr=anscribed print information (no pictures, cut and paste or fancy formatting).
OK - I'm sitting here waiting to hear from you! Nancy y Te \

No comments:

Post a Comment