Thursday, December 23, 2010

FAMILY NEWS

December started with Nancy and I enjoying our time in San Antonio, Texas. The following week, I drove to northern Illinois. It has been three years since I have gone further than Peoria and four more hours of driving makes a difference. I left on a Saturday morning in a mist that later turned into rain, then hit fog in areas and arrived in Dundee, Illinois in the rain. I got to youngest son, Bobs before dark. We rested and talked then left for the pizza place where my children ate pizza on special occasions. My grandchildren also ate at that pizza parlor in their growing up years. It was the perfect spot for our family to get together. All were there except granddaughter, Beth. She had car trouble and did not get there. We all ate and retold old stories and added a few new ones. We took pictures before all left to go their own way. The next morning, Bob and I took off for De Kalb to attend Northern Illinois University Graduation Ceremony and see grandson Brad receive his degree. It was bitterly cold and very windy. Most of the 45 miles to the college I drove in white-out conditions. Sometimes I could see the tail lights of the car in front of me and sometimes not. Bob watched the side of the road and guided me so I would stay on the road. We got there in time but just in time for the start of the service. Bob was able to get some great pictures of Brad. We met him after the service and were able to get more pictures. It took for ever to get out of the parking lot and on to the road. The way home after the service was a little better. It was good to stop for lunch and warm up as well as get down some coffee for the nerves. After a nice dinner that Jacky, Bob's girl friend, made for us, we relaxed and watched TV for awhile. After a nice breakfast with Bob, I headed back home for the good old Ozarks. There were icy patches to watch for, even south of St. Louis. I stopped at every rest stop and walked around a bit, I even went to a sit down restaurant for lunch after filling up the gas tank. I got home before supper and better yet, before dark. It was a great time and I am so glad that Brad invited me to his graduation.

The third week in December bring up "Shop with a Cop". Our Bolivar Police Department and Wal-Mart have worked together for the past eleven years. Our police have many donations from people who give each year for this great program. Last year the Polk County Sheriffs Department joined us and this year we even has some Conservation Officers join in.. For eight years Frank took photographs (I worked for Wal-Mart at that time and helped Susan with this program) and he made booklets for both Wal-Mart and the police. His last two years he was not able to walk around to photograph the children and the officers. Lynn Flick, one of the police chaplains and I did the picture taking and Frank did the booklets. Last year I did a small version of the booklet and I hope to do a better job of it this year. The important thing is that this year 80 children were able to shop with 100 dollars each, to buy whatever they wanted. So many of the children buy for their family members and have to be reminded to get something for themselves too. It is a heart warming time for everyone involved. On this note, I wish Each of You, A Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment