Sunday, May 1, 2011

Thatcher Magazine - May 2011

FAMILY HISTORY: Our cousin Julia - Alive and Performing
I thought you'd want to know that Julia Child, who was reported to have died in 2004, at age 91, continues to make personal appearances in print and in film!

~After discovering our 'cousin' relationship with Julia (about 30 times removed) I had to learn more about his incredible woman. I researched her interesting life and shared my findings with relatives (and anyone else who was interested) in a biography "Bon Appetit" published in Family History News 2005.
~It would appear a good number of friends, relatives and strangers are also intereted and have kept our cousin 'alive.' For instance, shortly before her death, Julia was working with her great-nephew Eric Prud'Homme, on an autobiographical review of her years in France. The book was not completed when Julia died so Prud'Homme continued alone. You can almost hear Julia's familiar voice as you read "My Life in France" published in 2006.
~At the same time, and much to Julia's disfavor, a young woman was blogging about recreating every recipe in "Mastering the Art of French Cooking." She called it 'Project 2002:' 536 recipes in 365 days. Julia referred to the project as 'the stunt.' Julie Powell went from blog to book, creating "Julie & Julia" a 2005 best seller then movie in 2009. I actually went to a theater to see "Julie & Julia" and truly enjoyed it! The movie starred Meryl Streep and Amy Adams as Julia and Julie with Stanley Tucci as Paul Child (I think Tucci gave an outstanding portrayal of Paul as I characterized him from Julia's writings and comments).
~Julia Child authored 17 or 18 books - all on cooking ("My Life in France" being the only exception).
~"Appetite for Life" was written by Noel Riley Fitch, with Julia Child's approval and published in 1997. This biography, along with a box filled with articles and notes on her teleision series were the bases upon which I wrote "Bon Apetit." I never interviewed nor met Julia in person.
~In 1985, Charlotte Painter interviewed Julia for a book "Gifts of Age: 32 Remarkable Women." Julia is on the cover.
~"As Always, Julia; The Letters of Julia Child and Avis DeVoto" was published in 2010 by Joan Reardon who compiled and interpreted the letters of friendship exchanged by these two women. Julia was writing her first cookbook, "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" with Simone Beck and Louisette Bertholle while living in France.
~Yet another Julia Child book hit the bookshelves in 2011. "A Covert Affair - Julia Child and Paul Child in the OSS." written by Jennet Conant. Julia was asked over and over again about her involvement with the OSS and her service in SriLanka, India and China: "What did you do? or "Were you a spy?" Her responses related to the weather, the landscape or the food; never her work. She repeated again and again that she had taken an oath to never discuss her OSS job - and she took pride in the value of her word. Note, too, that Paul's life and livlihood had been devastated by the McCarthyism inquisition as Paul became a target due to his service for the US in the OSS. By 2010, much of the WWII and OSS information archives were available to the public. If you lived through that destabilizing era, your stomach will be in knots again as you read "A Covert Affair."
~Each of the authors mentioned had a desire to view Julia Child from a different point of interest: cousin, nephew, government agent, world traveler, cook, author, television star or friend. All found honesty, humor, loyalty, dedication and integrity. In the end, Julia's nephew relates how her memories reminded her that the pleasures of the table and life were infinite - tourjours bon appetit!

FAMILY NEWSLETTER: Survival
Yankee relatives (Illinois and Michigan) survived the LONG, white winter of 2010-2011 while Tornado Alley relatives (Missouri and Arkansas) survived the first round of 2011 tornadoes.

THE SISTERS:Trying to Catch Up with the Calendar....It's May!
It has been many months since Marjorie and I have been able to get together in person - though we solve the problems of the world by phone at least once each week. If all goes well, we will meet in Branson May 21st for a writers' meeting. We are both grateful to be able to do that after so many tornado threats these past five weeks - Oh, what sad devastation they left in their wake!

INSPIRATION:@ "WOMAN'S WORLD" = A Moment for You:
Take it easy! Having a good work ethic is a good thing, but (I know you) overworking and getting overtired are easy for you to do. When you have a lot to do - you probably push yourself too hard. The best way to recharge, reorganized and rejuvinate is to relax. Do something nice for yourself. You deserve it. You earned it. (I'll second that...ntc)

STORIES TO SHARE: Holding Hands with Christy.
Now I don't remember which evening it was when all the news media set off alarms. Tornado sightings with touch-downs were heading right for my house! I think it was the fourth time in a week that I had prepared to dive into the hall closet. I closed off all the windows with curtains or blinds, closed all the doors, turned off all the lights and removed the vacuum cleaners from the closet before I checked my emergency equipment: battery and windup flashlight, radio, water, inhaler, purse with cash, credit cards, keys and cell phone. Don't forget shoes. (I always forget shoes.) The warnings were coming faster, closer, louder and more urgent - when the phone rang. It was Christy. I told her what was happening and she offered to get off the phone if I would feel safer closed in the closet, but I said I would rather she kept talking - and so she did. I have no idea what she was telling me; something funny, something serious, something interesting... who knows... I don't remember. What I do know is that the tornado split in two, part going to the north of my house; part to the south. We got wind and hail and rain. I also got the bonus of having Christy hold my hand, so to speak, through the storm - and gratitude when the All-Clear sounded.

INTERESTING STUFF: Wind,Water,Fire & Bumps in the Road.
As the television cameras scanned tornado damage at Tuscaloosa, Alabama the week of April 25, 2011, the camera and I saw a Bible message painted on the only piece of a church wall left standing: The earth shook and the Heavens poured down. Psalms 68:8. (I'm not religious, but I know the sentiment.)

On March 11, 2011, an earthquake rattled Japan and stirred up a tsunami. There are more earthquakes and tsunami in Japan than any other part of the world. I'm not sure whether this wall of water was bigger than the one that hit Haiti a year ago but it appeared to be greater than anyone in Japan experienced before.

It was April 11, 1906 when headlines of the San Francisco Daily News read, "The earth shook; the sky burned" as that city was devastated by earthquakes. That time it was fire that followed the Earth's rumble.

I live in 'Tornado Alley.' This has been a horrific year for tornadoes in the Unted States. I know I have been fortunate. I think I am prepared - but never want to find out for sure!

May 1, 2011: The sun came out to reveal the wonderful effect of wind and warmth and rain. The grasses have greened into a pale and plush carpet. Leaves have unfurled on every species of tree, replacing sneezy, pollin-pods. Just outside my window, the gnarled and darkened tree trunks of last month are hidden behind a velvety curtain made up of millions of leaves in a thousand shades of green - my favorite color!

~~The BLOG ~~
Family members are welcome to contribute to the BLOG by contacting the editor through either the 'comment' space on this blogsite or by emailing nktcerny@suddenlink.net or phonong (870) 425-8264. You can use snail mail if you prefer. To date, I know only ow to manage transcribed print information (no pctures - cut-paste or fancy formatting).
OK - I'm sitting here waiting to hear from you. Nancy yTe \



No comments:

Post a Comment