Thursday, March 17, 2011

Thatcher Magazine - March 2011

FAMILY HISTORY Bruce K. Thatcher - Distinguished Flying Cross citation Google: MilitaryTimes.com/citations-medals/awards/citations.php?citation-60324 "FIRST LIEUTENANT BRUCE K. THATCHER ARMY for Service as set forth in the following: CITATION: The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress, July 2, 1926, takes pleasure in presenting the distinguished Flying Cross to First Lieutenant (Field Artillery) Bruce K. Thatcher (ASN: 0-5419513), United States Army, for extraordinary heroism and gallantry while participating in aerial flight while serving with Headquarters and Service Battery, 1st Battalion, 77th Artillery, 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile). First Lieutenant Thatcher distinguished himself by heroism in action on 28 June 1967, while serving as an aerial observer during a mission assisting artillery forward observers of three rifle companies which were engaged with a hostile force in Binh Dinh Province, Republic of Vietnam. Lieutenant Thatcher remained in the area for a period of one hour to assist forward observers in adjusting artillery fire. As fighting progressed, friendly and hostile positions moved to within 50 meters of each other. Later, aerial rocket artillery helicopters arrived to help the friendly elements in breaking contact with the hostile force. Realizing the danger to friendly troops if the rocket fire would be a fraction off, Lieutenant Thatcher, with complete disregard for his own safety, directed his pilot to lead the aerial rocket artillery helicopters to show the exact path of the desired rocket fire. Making several more passes over the hostile positions, his aircraft came under intense enemy fire. Lieutenant Thatcher's courageous action is in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit uopn himself, his unit and the United States Army. Footnote: A copy of Bruce's recollection of 28 June 1967, in his own words, has been sent for inclusion in an official record book. A copy, with Bruce's permission to Marjorie, will be printed in its entirety in FAMILY HISTORY NEWS - 2011 issue. . FAMILY NEWSLETTER It has been a long, dark winter... Family members escaped to warmer climates when Carol and Colleen spent nearly a month in Aruba, Rob took a trip to Arizona while Nancy and Rich flew to Acapulco. Nice! . SISTERS Marjorie and I had hoped to take another Sunnyland Bus Tour at the end of March 2011 - Just a brief four-day tour into Texas, Mississippi and Arkansas. Unfortunately, I got mowed down by some mysterious malady even my doctors cannot figure out but which leaves me with no energy (no brain and not much ambition, either - tho I passed all the medical 'tests' with flying colors). I even had some new clothes for the trip - lots of bright orange so Marjorie couldn't lose me. We may try shorter trips later this spring. In the meantime, you can find me in the company of celebrities as I will be going to rehab to learn how to be healthy. (I've had nearly eighty years of practice but medical people are going to teach me how to breathe.) Nancy y Te \ . INSPIRATION LAUGHTER and MUSIC keeps you Happy! That's the title of a health article Carol copied and left on my computer desk (so I read it). The article has to do with Albuterol, Carbohydrates, Fat, Salts and Cholestrols. I don't know much about those things but I do agree with LAUGHTER and MUSIC keeps you Happy! . I keep telling people to find the bright and humorous side of something that happens each day and to keep company with people you enjoy laughing with so you can chuck thoughts of grouchy people in the nearest trash bin. Turn on music and sing along - or dance. In the olden days, I cleaned house with gusto while Tijuana Brass blared from the record player. For years I used the mantra "Life is short - Eat dessert first." At my current age my mantra is "Hasten Slowly" - as that gives me time to see and enjoy the funny side of people and things (there are soooo many of them!). I have a granddaughter who, I am sure, is sick and tired of hearing me tell her "Turn on soothing music so you can relax and get more accomplished. Find something to laugh about every day and something to be grateful for at the end of every day." (I'm so good at this topic - I don't know why I have to go to rehab. I spent years teaching 'life skills' to really 'sick' people!) . STORIES TO SHARE I invited Joe and Josephine, my friend from England, for tea yesterday (Joe is American-born). Although we had corresponded by email and phone, we hadn't met in person this past winter as poor health took a heavy toll on each of us. Josephine tells me she has signed up to take classes in blacksmithing! She is already a writer, world traveler, speaking several languages including reading and writing Arabic, and she has won awards for her artistic works in pencil, watercolor, oil and carving (She even peels potatoes with a scalpel-sharp paring knife!). Obviously, she takes a great interest in the history and culture of every location she has visited in the world, including the years she has lived in the United States. This time, Josephine took up the challenge by one of our writing groups and has written a cowboy story for competition. She read her story to me and I'm confident she will walk away with the prize! I have to admit that I was notified of the same competition but disqualified myself because I don't know enough about writing 'westerns.' I think I learned something at teatime: Have a friend with confidence - some of it may rub off on your own wimpy self. If you call yourself a writer, you should be able to pick up a pen and write a story on any subjet. Thank you, Josephine, for being my friend and an inspiration. . INTERESTING STUFF Our cousin Julia Child said all retired people should learn to use a computer. Friends, information and 'the world' are just a click away with the internet and FaceBook. An AARP poll seems to confirm 25% of adults 55+ prefer to chat with friends via social media rather than talk face-to-face. (Something to think about...). Certainly this 'instant information highway' was instrumental, recently, in having the voices of Egyptians heard effectively; in locating and rescuing travelers lost in the blizzards of this past winter; in warning the world of Japan's earthquate, tsunami and subsequent atomic plant dangers -- in time to hear, evaluate and (hopefully) react in a responsible manner. . Technology is moving as fast as white water. It is like shooting the rapids. I feel like I'm always two steps behind and playing catch-up. Even so, I recommend you climb aboard and hang on for dear life - This new superhighway of information can be a bumpy ride. But, being left behind is definitely worse. It is like being stranded alone on Gilligan's Island without the rest of the crew. . THE BLOG Family members are welcome to contribute to this BLOG by contacting the editor through either the 'comment' space on this blogsite or by emailing nktcerny@suddenlink.net or phoning (870)425-8264. You can use snail mail if you prefer. To date, I know only how to manage transcribed print information (no pictures - cut-paste or fancy formatting. I just heard courses will be available this summer at my local library - or I may have to rent a 12-year old computer nerd). OK - I'm sitting here waiting to hear from you. Nancy y Te \

No comments:

Post a Comment