Thursday, January 20, 2011

SISTERS

The new year finds me and one of my sons taking down and packing my husbands cameras. You see, we had a computer/camera room that held Franks collection of old cameras as well as our computers and office equipment.
We still lived in northern Illinois when Frank had heart problems. We started walking a lot and when the temperature dropped, we started walking around flea markets for our exercise. It was at one of these flea markets that Frank saw a camera just like the one he once owned. He had learned to use the camera, shoot pictures and even develop the film in a school photography class. Of course he had to buy this camera. As soon as we got home, Frank cleaned the camera, checked it out and later he bought film and shot some pictures with it. Well that was the first one. Now it is about twenty years and many cameras later. The camera/computer room has shelves on every wall, over every window and cameras nicely arranged by type, size or manufacture. There are photos that Frank or I took over the years placed around with the cameras too. This collection gave reason to get out in bad weather, walk some shops and the satisfaction of the find.
It is now almost two years since Frank died. The cameras were important in his life and now it is time to share them with his sons. Frank, the oldest son, and Bob, the youngest, only wanted a few of the collection. Roy said he would like to set-up his home office with the rest of them. So Roy put some of each type of camera in a box for each brother. Then he and I set about packing the rest. I kept a few cameras because they played a large roll in Franks and my life, especially the last few years when he spent more time at home. Frank spent a lot of time in the research and history of the cameras, using books and his computer. One of the cameras I kept is the first camera I had, I used it in high school and when we were first married. Another camera that I kept is an old one that I photographed and had that image engraved on Franks head stone.
While going thru old pictures and advertisements, I came across one picture of two young people. They had their heads together and were smiling into the camera. This photo is only about 1 3/4 inches by 2 1/2 inches with about 1/4 inch metal frame. It has a cellophane cover and a cardboard backing, then the metal frame holding it together. The cardboard backing has a place to write the date; taken at; and message; area for you to fill in. The bottom of this backing says; taken by the Photomatic made in U. S. A. International Mutos??? Corp, New York.
Seeing this brought back memories. I remember as being quite young, probably grade school age, we would go to Chicago at times. These photo booths were in the Union Station as well as other places. You would go, push aside the dark curtain, sit down (close together if it were two or more of you), put your money in the slot and smile. I remember we had money for Nancy and I to have our photo taken in one of these booths one time. I think some photo booths did the single metal holders and other ones did three or four shots and sent out a strip of the photos.
Seeing this photo also remined me that there were street photographers when we went into Chicago. Our mother took us to houseware shows, special boat shows at Montrose Harbor and sometimes even a professional base ball game. It was on these special occasions that street photographers were out on the busy sidewalds taking pictures. They would snap your picture as you were walking in the crowd, as as you walked by they would hand you a card. If you mailed in the card and the required money, you received a photo of yourself at this great occasion.
I am glad that during what could be a difficult time, with the change in my life and home, this task sparked great memories. Good memories of the many things Frank and I enjoyed as well as bring back some long ago, almost lost memories I share with you today. Marge

1 comment: